Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Week 2


In week 2 there's not a lot of obvious change except that the snow melted away completely and I took the plastic off the sidewalk bed to let the sun in during the day.

Today I decided to start round one of the snap peas on the first fence there, and I put in a couple Red Russian kale seeds as well. I'm not sure the kale will germinate in the cool weather though.

None of last week's seeds have sprung up yet, but I did see a spinach seed on the surface sending a little root down, so I quickly sprinkled some dirt on it.

However, all of the garlic bulbs sent out new growth (and the shallot shoots are greening up too):


Around the front and back yard there are other signs of life: day lilies, tulips, crocuses, and daffodils are coming up, I think I see tiny wild blue violet plants here and there, and the pussy willow is in furry bloom:


Here's hoping there will be some more green stuff next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment