Wednesday, March 24, 2010

FarmVille: Week 3


All those plastic cups and boxes on the sidewalk bed are covering (and keeping warm and moist) seeds in the ground waiting to sprout some leaves. There are carrots and beets (planted today), turnips, more peas, a second-round of kale, and some remaining unsprouted lettuce and spinach under those.

I also prepared and set some planters in the shady corner area next to the garage (upper right of pic), where soon I'll plant some flowers and cilantro. Because it's nice and cool there, this area will eventually become my summer lettuce and spinach plot.

Almost all of the seeds I planted out a week or two ago are sprouting now: lettuce, spinach, a couple first-round peas, first-round kale, and some pre-sprouted turnip seeds I planted in the last few days.

The chard is not up, partly because I messed up the plot while working on another area, so I'm starting over by trying to pre-sprout some seed inside.

I was getting impatient with the slow germination in the cold ground, so this past week I decided to try pre-sprouting indoors and planting the seeds just as they were breaking open and the first root was coming out. The turnips and kale both responded very well to this plan. The second-round peas are going slow but enough have sprouted to transplant today, and I'm still waiting on that chard. :(

I also planted out my broccoli babies just before the cold rains came on Sunday night. They seem to be taking well to their new home:


I got a late start on my parsley and cilantro indoor starts, but some sprouts are finally coming up in the egg cartons, so those will likely go out next week.

The crocuses came and went pretty quickly over the last week, but the daffodils are starting to open, and soon we'll have tulips. So nice that Spring is finally here.

UPDATE: slow chard seed finally sprouted so that'll go out in the morning. We'll have a full bed very shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment