Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Growing Season 2010: Week 1


This year I will attempt to keep a record of the changes in the garden throughout the season. I thought it would be fun to take a photo from the same spot each week, so that the changes in most of the yard can be seen.

Today I've removed the straw cover from the bed by the sidewalk and the section behind the garage where I planted the garlic and shallot bulbs last fall.


The shoots are looking pretty sickly, but hopefully some air and sunshine will improve them. I also noticed some daffodil shoots coming up in the front yard.

I've constructed a little "greenhouse" over the sidewalk bed, using a large 10x20 foot plastic tarp, and the pea fences provide the support.


After the soil warms up under the plastic for a couple of days, I will start planting the early spring crop: lettuce, spinach, and chard.

2 comments:

  1. When we had out cold spell, the first thing that happened to those plants destined to cast off this mortal coil is that they drooped. Your garlic looks a little droopy, but if the soil stayed above freezing, there might be a real Eastern miracle.

    Hey! The "greenhouses" are great. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kept them covered in a generous stack of hay all winter, so the ground stayed soft. Some of the shoots are pretty firm still so there's life in them.

    ReplyDelete