Friday, July 18, 2008

How Does Your Garden Grow?



About 2 weeks after we moved in we still hadn't been in the backyard because there was just so much work to do INSIDE the house it was too overwhelming to add that square footage to our world. But the grass was beginning to get long and we knew we had to do something about it before the neighbors started leaving angry notes, so Dave got the push mower out of the garage, and I started tackling the weeds in the vegetable garden.

After about 2 hours I cleared about 3 feet (out of 20) and it was getting dark. For a couple of days I couldn't go back to it because my back was aching and it was such a chore that I couldn't deal. But then one morning we noticed some people walking around in our yard pulling out vines, and when I asked them what they were doing there, lo and behold they were hired by our landlord to clear all of the crud from the garden and landscaping! They cleared out everything from the veggie bed and turned it over so I could plant. I bought a bunch of flowering perennials from Lowes and put them in the ground.



I also had a couple of impatiens that Jen brought me when she visited:



Later I ordered some seeds from Burpee because I really couldn't afford to keep spending $10/plant to cover the last 10 feet of the garden. I decided that some zucchini would have time to grow, and a pumpkin vine would take up a lot of space and might get big enough by thanksgiving. So I cultivated the rest of the plot and made a couple of small mountains.



Hopefully a pumpkin will grow out of this little hill. I also seeded some lettuces and chard between the flowers. I sure hope those flowers get big enough to provide a little shade to my tender greens!

No comments:

Post a Comment