Saturday, July 5, 2008

Higher Learning

Having had no idea what we were looking at when we tried exploring Carnegie Mellon University on our own, Virg and I decided to go on the official admissions campus tour together. So, on Tuesday, June 24th, the two of us, along with a dozen high school kids and their parents, were given a tour of the various oddities on the CMU campus.


I'll be working in Wean Hall, the big concrete box on the right. The tower in the background is the Cathedral of Learning at the nearby University of Pittsburgh.



Virg can't wait to go to college.




Virg eats some pretty decent Indian food at the University Center.


After all that walking, Virg was tired enough to try out getting home on Pittsburgh's bus system. I still haven't been on a bus here, but it looks like the bus lines will be incredibly convenient for getting between home and CMU (although very confusingly numbered). Anyway, I had arranged to meet with a co-worker to work out my teaching schedule and set up my accounts. It's looking pretty final that I'll be teaching 3 sections of CMU's CS2 course, which is almost exactly what I was teaching in AP Comp Sci AB. Regarding accounts, it turned out there was nothing I could set up until I'm officially on payroll in September.

Some other highlights of the week:

  • Wednesday: finding a great desk for Virg at IKEA
  • Thursday: getting caught in a giant lightning storm as we attempted to leave the hardware store
  • Friday: meeting a former student of mine at CMU and getting lunch at nearby Lulu's (Asian noodles)

No comments:

Post a Comment