Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Beechers Come To Town

My parents stopped by Pittsburgh for less than 24 hours on their way to DC, so we didn't get to show them around much. Also they brought boxes of my crap that's been stored in their basement for over 12 years.

When they got in Friday night we took them over to the Murray Avenue Grill (we had success with Paul and Hilary Feinberg there during their visit a couple of weekends before). This time they were not out of all the specials, so everyone got what they wanted.

That evening we went to Gullifty's for dessert. Dave and I got the flourless chocolate cake which he liked but I thought was very disappointing. The raspberry sauce had a lot of seeds in it, and the cake itself was chalky, not the decadence I was expecting. We stayed late enough to hear the first jazz act start. In spite of the poor execution of our Pina Coladas I think we'll be back for the entertainment.

The next day while waiting for everyone to come downstairs I went through my boxes. Among my long lost treasures I discovered my Irish sweater and my English coffee cup that I'd been missing since college, and my pewter mug from The Distillery (I drank over 100 beers from around the world to get that mug which used to hang over the bar).



I also found my old drill team practice uniforms and every letter, postcard, and note passed in class from my high school days.

My parents left before lunch, so we didn't get to show them any more of Pittsburgh, but I hope they'll be back soon so we can get out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment