Saturday, April 17, 2010

Annual Mix CDs

For a long time, I've wanted to create a mix CD at the end of each year with the music I got into that year, largely as a way to remember the music and events of my life. However, it's always seemed daunting to figure out if I got into a song this year, or was that 2 years ago, etc. So a few months ago, I made a big spreadsheet, went through all my CDs, tried to remember exactly where I was living and what I was doing when I got into an album, searched for receipts for music purchases, etc., and I worked out what I listened to in each of the past several years. I've now started making my annual mix CDs, working backward in time. I've avoided putting multiple songs by the same artist on a given CD, unless it was a slow year. The result so far is a lot of post rock and Batman music:

2009
1. Route 12 from the Revolutionary Road soundtrack
2. Malachite by Jakob
3. The Day Shift by Pg. Lost
4. Ybe 76 by Subheim
5. Taijin Kyofusho by Evpatoria Report
6. A Notion I Can't Shake ... Accidents Happen So Fast by September Malevolence
7. Incirculation by This Is Your Captain Speaking
8. White Seraphs Wild by Immanu El
9. Sapphire by Seabound
10. In Your Room by Depeche Mode
11. Hero by Regina Spektor
12. Enlightened False Consciousness by French Teen Idol

2008
1. Marching Bands Of Manhattan by Death Cab For Cutie
2. Cerda's Plan by Near The Parenthesis
3. Void by Red House Painters
4. Aggressive Expansion from the Dark Knight soundtrack
5. Psiu! Puxa! by Lights Out Asia
6. Define Dancing from the Wall-E soundtrack
7. The Second Nave by Near The Parenthesis
8. Denouement from the Atonement soundtrack
9. What Sarah Said by Death Cab For Cutie
10. The Cottage On The Beach from the Atonement soundtrack
11. Six Points Of Fire by Lights Out Asia
12. A Dark Knight from the Dark Knight soundtrack

2007
1. Analyse by Thom Yorke
2. Outlast By Rain by Readymade
3. Tepid Coat by Damiak
4. All I Need by Radiohead
5. Worst Taste In Music by Radio Dept.
6. Pace Is The Trick by Interpol
7. Soma by Smashing Pumpkins
8. I Remember It Differently by Near The Parenthesis
9. And Triage by Bitcrush
10. The Funeral from the Pan's Labyrinth soundtrack
11. Watching Over You by Seabound
12. Spiti Elfas by Lights Out Asia
13. Mortal City by Dar Williams

2006
1. Pulling Our Weight by Radio Dept.
2. Eptesicus from the Batman Begins soundtrack
3. Medicine Bottle by Red House Painters
4. 10,000 Days (Wings Part 2) by Tool
5. Fair by Remy Zero
6. Sometimes by My Bloody Valentine
7. Alone In Kyoto by Air
8. No Quarter by Tool (a Led Zeppelin cover)
9. Svo Hljott by Sigur Ros
10. Corynorhinus from the Batman Begins soundtrack
11. Let Go by Frou Frou
12. Love On A Real Train by Tangerine Dream
13. A Lack Of Color by Death Cab For Cutie

Due to lack of data, mix CDs before 2006 will probably have to span multiple years.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dave,

    When are we going to get to see the rest of the mixes for 2010-2014??

    Your friend,
    Jesse Chusid

    ReplyDelete