Thursday, November 27, 2008

Let Us Give Thanks

This is the day of the year where at most gatherings we Americans are asked to share what we are grateful for. This is always kind of an uncomfortable moment for me since I usually feel like I have way more blessings than I deserve, and that sharing those might sound boastful. Mainly I am thankful to be alive, healthy, and living comfortably. This year I think I have more to be thankful for than usual...

I am thankful that there will be a Democrat in the White House next year, bringing with him the promise of more opportunity and support for those less fortunate, a plan for a sustainable economy, an end to attacks on our civil rights, and a vision of hope that will inspire us to be our best selves.

I am thankful for my husband, Dave, with whom I build a stronger relationship every year, and who encourages me to keep up with my interests, friends, and TV shows.

I am thankful that Dave and I survived our move to Pittsburgh, the cats arrived safely, and the house we rented sight unseen turned out to be a great place to live in a nice quiet block full of cat lovers. Also, I am thankful that Pittsburgh is exceeding expectations regarding livability and opportunities for activity.

I am thankful that I work for a company that allowed me to move across the country and still be considered a part of the team. I'm also thankful that Dave found a teaching position that allowed us to move to an area of the country where we can be within driving distance of most of our family members, and where we can afford to buy a home of our own.

And last, but not least, I am thankful for my little furry buddies, Jackie and Mr. Moustache, who keep me company during the lonely work day, snuggle with me when I'm down, and provide us with endless entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment